The Family Guide to Holistic Care for a Healthy Mind and Body
Kathi J. Kemper, MD, FAAP
A first-of-its-kind, comprehensive family guide to safe, affordable, effective, nonprescription therapies for mental well-being.Mental Health Naturally
Item #: CB0054
ISBN 13: 978-1-58110-310-6
[log-in for member pricing] or
In Mental Health, Naturally, internationally-recognized holistic health expert and pediatrician Dr. Kathi J. Kemper presents natural, affordable, safe, and effective treatments for mental health issues such as ADHD, depression, anxiety, stress, and substance abuse.
With up-to-date research, illustrative examples, and a practical approach for individuals and families, Mental Health Naturally offers:
• An overview and greater understanding of mental health disorders affecting children, teens, and adults.
• Fundamental strategies for improving and even preventing mental health issues, including exercise, sleep, nutrition, supplements, environment, stress management, and communication.
• Therapies that go beyond the fundamentals, such as herbs, homeopathy, massage and bodywork therapy, acupuncture, and more.
• Tips on becoming an advocate for mental health in your family and community.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Introduction
1. Are Mental Health Problems Really a Problem?
2. What Is Mental Health?
Part 2: Fundamental Strategies
5. Restful Sleep
7. Dietary Supplements: Overview
8. Dietary Supplements: Vitamins
9. Dietary Supplements: Minerals
10. Dietary Supplements: Essential Fatty Acids
11. Dietary Supplements: Amino Acids
12. Dietary Supplements: Hormones
13. Dietary Supplements: Probiotics
14. Environment: Positive Factors
15. Environment: Protecting Against Negative Aspects
Managing Stress: Overview
16. Managing Stress: Emotional Practices
17. Managing Stress: Mental Practices
18. Managing Stress: Spiritual Practices
Communication Skills and Community Building to Promote Mental
19. Communication Skills: Being a Friend to Yourself
20. Communicating With Others
21. Building Community, Support, and Fellowship
Part 3: Beyond Fundamentals: Additional Help
23. Homeopathy and Bach Flower Remedies
26. Chiropractic and Osteopathy
27. Magnets and Electrical Stimulation
Part 4: Putting It All Together
28. Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Improving Focus
29. Anxiety: Improving a Sense of Security, Serenity, Calm,
Confidence, and Courage
30. Defeating Depression: Building Hope
31. Advocacy to Promote Mental Health
SAVE Up To 50% with Volume Discounts!
25-249 Copies Save 40% Price each: $11.97
250-499 Copies Save 50% Price each: $9.98
For quantities of 500+, call for pricing: 800/433-9016, ext. 7091 or 4837
About the Author
Dr. Kemper is recognized internationally as the leading authority on holistic, integrative and complementary therapies for children. Her expertise is frequently sought out by media outlets such as USA Today, Parenting magazine and ABC News. She is the Caryl J Guth Chair for Complementary and Integrative Medicine at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine where she directs the Program for Complementary and Integrative Medicine. Dr. Kemper is the 2008 recipient of the inaugural leadership award from the Integrative Pediatrics Council and the founding Chairperson of the Section for Complementary and Integrative Medicine of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Praise for Mental Health, Naturally
"For those investigating alternative medicine for mental health, this makes an informative and reliable resource."
-- PublishersWeekly.com (March 2010)
This book is an inexpensive resource that is a must for the desk of every child neurologist and pediatrician to use in answering the daily patient and family queries about the myriad of complementary and alternative health care offerings found on radio, television, and the Internet, as well as in the magazines on tables in most physician office reception areas and waiting rooms.
--Journal of Child Neurology
“[Dr. Kemper’s] list of suggested approaches to lifestyle modifications and ways to improve security, serenity, confidence, and courage is one of the best and most innovative I have ever read…”
-- Cora Collette Breuner, MD, MPH, FAAP, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Affiliation of Seattle Children’s Hospital
"Twenty percent of children have mental health problems. Families need to know the basics of healthy living for their physical mental, and emotional well-being. This book will help families develop a safe, economical, and effective way to begin preventing and alleviating mental health problems."
-- David T. Tayloe, Jr., MD, FAAP; 2008-2009 President, American Academy of Pediatrics
These products were chosen by individuals who also purchased this product: