A Resource Toolkit for Hospitals and Physicians’ Offices
American Academy of Pediatrics
Safe & Healthy Beginnings: A Resource Toolkit for Hospitals and Physicians’ Offices, developed in partnership with the Center for Health Care Quality at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center is a resource to assist clinicians in implementing the ABCs of improving care for newborns.
Item #: CD0054
ISBN 13: 978-1-58110-329-8
[log-in for member pricing]
Safe & Healthy Beginnings: A Resource Toolkit for Hospitals
and Physicians’ Offices
Safe & Healthy Beginnings is purpose-built to help you implement the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) clinical practice guideline, “Management of Hyperbilirubinemia in the Newborn Infant 35 or More Weeks of Gestation.” This new compendium brings together a wide array of ready-to-use resources—assessment and documentation tools, inventories, checklists, sample letters, coding aids, parent handouts, and more—on an easy-to-use CD-ROM.
Visit http://www.aap.org/pubserv/shb/index.html to view a demo of this practice resource.
Perinatal care excellence begins with ABC
Assessment of risk for severe hyperbilirubinemia
The AAP recommends that prior to a newborn’s discharge from the hospital, the risk for severe hyperbilirubinemia be determined and appropriate management or follow-up plans be put in place.
Safe & Healthy Beginnings provides tools optimized for accurate hyperbilirubinemia risk assessment.
The AAP advises health care professionals to counsel mothers about breastfeeding, promote breastfeeding, thoroughly assess breastfeeding during hospitalization and at the first primary care visit, and provide mothers with information about breastfeeding resources.
Toolkit materials help newborn nurseries and primary care practices implement these evidence-based recommendations.
Coordination of care
The AAP recommends that newborns discharged before 72 hours of age be assessed by a licensed health care professional within 2 days of discharge.
Toolkit materials ease care coordination between the hospital newborn nursery and the pediatric primary care practice.
Safe & Healthy Beginnings brings you a wealth of tested tools
—all on one convenient, quick-access CD-ROM!
ASSESSING YOUR SYSTEMS FOR NEWBORN CARE
Tools for Newborn Nursery Clinicians
• Safe and Healthy Beginnings Newborn Nursery Inventory
• Safe and Healthy Beginnings Newborn Discharge: A Readiness Checklist
• Bright Futures Newborn Hospital Documentation Form
Tools for Primary Care Clinicians
• Safe and Healthy Beginnings Primary Care Practice Inventory
• Safe and Healthy Beginnings First Newborn Visit Checklist
• Well Child/2 to 5 Days (First Week) Pediatric Visit Documentation Form
• Bright Futures Previsit Questionnaire: 2 to 5 Day (First Week) Visit
• Safe and Healthy Beginnings Newborn Primary Care Visit: The Pediatric Practitioner’s Guide to Coding and Getting Paid
• Bright Futures Parent Handout: Newborn Visit
• Bright Futures Parent Handout: 2 to 5 Day (First Week) Visit
• Caring for Your Baby (English and Spanish)
ASSESSMENT OF RISK FOR SEVERE HYPERBILIRUBINEMIA
Tools for Clinicians
• Is the Baby at Risk for Severe Hyperbilirubinemia? Predischarge Assessment of the Risk for Severe Hyperbilirubinemia in Newborns 35 or More Weeks of Gestation
• Assessment of Risk for Severe Hyperbilirubinemia Pocket Card
• Phototherapy Guidelines Pocket Card
• Letter to Primary Care Physician From Hospital About Newborn Follow-up
• Sample Hospital Policy: Management of Hyperbilirubinemia in the Normal Newborn Nursery
• Questions and Answers: Jaundice and Your Newborn (English, Spanish, Chinese, and Italian)
Tools for Clinicians
• Clinical Care Path for Breastfeeding
• Sample Hospital Breastfeeding Policy for Newborns
• Infant Breastfeeding Assessment Tool (IBFAT)
• LATCH: A Breastfeeding Charting System and Documentation Tool
• Mother-Baby Assessment Tool
• A Clinician’s Guide: Suggested Questions to Assess Breastfeeding in Primary Care Practice
• Breastfeeding Assessment Checklist for Mothers in Primary Care Practice (English and Spanish)
• Assessing Your Local Breastfeeding Resources (English and Spanish)
• Breastfeeding Record for Baby’s First Week (English and Spanish)
• Breastfeeding Your Baby: Answers to Common Questions (English and abbreviated Spanish)
Safe and Healthy Beginnings: A Resource Toolkit for Hospitals and Physicians' Offices has been endorsed by The Joint Commission and the Child Health Corporation of America.
All Systems: Adobe® Reader® 5.0 or later for viewing PDF content (available for free at adobe.com): Microsoft® Word or equivalent